• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Passed 104 - Restoration of System Senators

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Purpose:

1. To restore the older, more efficient form of the senate.

2. To hold voters accountable.

Proposal:

1. Rather than direct democracy, the leader of each system would represent them. The wording of the Constitution would be updated to reflect this. In the case of planets without an existing representative, the representative would be elected by popular vote. In order to vote, a star system would require a population of over 10,000 citizens.

2. All proposals and votes must be signed by their submitter, so that their origin is clear.

3. Add language to the Constitution that The Commander of the Star Army, the Emperor or Empress of Yamatai, and the Imperial Premier of Yamatai cannot be senators representing a star system.

OOC: NPC senators instead of faceless votes!

I vote yes.

My thoughts: The senate has a much richer place in Star Army canon by having actual representatives that are NPCs/PCs.

Yes.

This is good because people have been making OoC style votes like this one or faceless, trashvotes that aren't roleplayed well. And it forces people to maintain a single thought process. Even though I made several votes yesterday, for example, I did so with different characters with different points of view.

Really good.

Question: How will soldiers and officers in the Star Army of Yamatai and off planet be represented if the senate is planet-derived?

Every Yamataian citizen should have to declare a home system. This allows for Senators to represent all people based in that space whether on-planet, in a fleet stationed there, or on starbases.

I agree on the notion of a declaration of a home system in order for a military member to be properly represented in the Senate. They can petition their home system senator about how they feel. We would have to trust that our representation will properly represent our interests and not their own hidden agendas.

The public referendum system is a great method for the citizens of Yamatai to express their opinions and influence their government but it detracts from what we should be doing as citizens- we have other obligations that sometimes prevent us from voting but the government cannot stand still, the wheels of progress must keep turning. It is our duty to vote but we have larger duties before us as we try to rebuild from the war.

~ Ketsurui Sora

Before this is ratified, I'd like to propose that the Emperor or Empress be made planet Yamatai's permanent representative rather than selecting a separate Senator.

raz said:
Before this is ratified, I'd like to propose that the Emperor or Empress be made planet Yamatai's permanent representative rather than selecting a separate Senator.

I second This

"Yes," Said Senator A. Winsbury, noting that the system senator for Yamatai being the Emperor/Empress would be somewhat strange, "I do have one caution about the Empress being the sole representative for Yamatai. I might agree with what they say simply out of politeness rather than reason. Other than that, my vote stands on Yes."

Gunther cleared his throat and spoke about the recent proposal. "With regards to the proposal that the Monarch be made the voting principle for the Planet Yamatai. I say No. The Monarch already has the power of veto. If a member of the upper echelon should be needed to hold that responsibility. I propose that it should be the Premier since their responsibilities are managing the civilian aspects of the Empire."

Please note that the law specifically prohibits the Premier or Empress to also serve as senators at the same time.

This proposal passes, 5-0.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back