• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

IRC channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
Are there consistent channels that we should post about, other than #StarArmy? I'm an IRC noob still, so I just went and created my own channel. But it looks like anyone can do that ... *shrugs* I'm just curious.

Honestly, I'd rather see a bit more of a puch towards actually enforcing the "SARP comes first" in the channel we have now then a new channel entirely. Especially since Wes seems so opposed to it being associated with SARP. :/.

Some have tried to enforce that Aendri; Wes, Nash, Toshiro, myself ( can't speak for Raz) but in all the times we have tried to, people ignore us.

Because that's just going to divide the community. We already have a channel for OOC discussions, and it's called #stararmy. If the mods can't get people to stop making noise while there's an attempt at SARP discussion going on, then they need to step it up. If there's honestly disucssion going, and people are talking over it, KICK THEM. It's that simple. All I ever really see happen is that people get a little note and a finger wagged in their face. The point of having the operator actions available is to use them if needed.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't recall this being an issue when it was me and Kyle running the channel more or less 24/7 between us, and it's because we banned people if they wouldn't listen to the mods. There's a rule specifically to permit mods to remove people if they continue to disagree because they don't like the way the rules are being enforced, so put it to use.

Why resurrect this a month later? The channel runs very smoothly. Outsiders who come in and start making trouble get kickbanned pretty quickly.

All I ever really see happen is that people get a little note and a finger wagged in their face.

I've operated many IRC channels and honestly believe that community members deserve a warning or two before they're kicked, unless what they're doing is a really egregious violation of the rules.

Having multiple conversations isn't against IRC rules. If you want me or any other operator to enforce "Rule 8" immediately when a line of SARP discussion comes up then I believe your expectations are too high. Topics fizzle and come back and it's not fair to kick someone for "interrupting a SARP conversation" that just started and was honestly going to end in a few lines anyway. I'm sure you appreciated the warning rather than the swift ban 2 users PMed me to dispense when I asked you and Cadet to stop your really heated argument about World of Tanks on June 13, for example.

I'm just pointing out that it can't be both ways, Raz. I agree, I think your way was better, but apparently it's not enough for everybody. Either we're willing to give warnings, and then ban people (which is how it's always been handled) or we're going to enforce the rules to the absolute maximum possible, or we do nothing at all. I think the first option is best, but apparently Kyle feels it's not effective enough. I honestly think that if a mod tells someone to cool their jets and back off, and they ignore or reject the warning, then that DOES constitute a ban. Either we're enforcing things properly as is, and some mods just aren't using their abilities, or things need to be enforced more harshly, and all of the mods need to come down on us harder.

Honestly, I think this is being blown out of proportion. Yes, we have arguments every now and then that drown stuff out, but when that happens, a mod just needs to step in and resolve it, one way or another. We don't need new channels, or new rules or anything, we just need everyone to actually enforce what's already in place.

I believe what Doshii is attempting to subtly convey is that moderating a chat channel is more of an art than a science.

The things said on this topic have gone a bit circuitous, but I think the intended message was clear, and that anyone having read through it since its 'resurrection' has an idea of the kind of behavior we want to promote in the IRC channel, users and mods alike.

This is good. Is there really more we need to add on this topic?

IRC rules have been updated. See IRC Rules.

This update is to make the channel more suitable for linking it more obviously on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back