• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Why are starships so inexpensive?

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Convention Veteran
Retired Staff
As I have been working on some of my civilian designs I realized that our starship pricing is way too low.

When you look at the prices we have they border on silly for what they can do.

Using one of the Original GE ships the Ge-F6-1A - Light Freighter
Sells for 25,000 KS new

It comes with 4 SDR laser turrets and 1 Plasma turret all SDR.

Price wise, I would pay the same if I purchased 29 Type 33 NSP's at 850 KS

Or I could buy 100 Personal Infantry Machine Pistol (PIMP) from Paragon

Or 5 low end Origin Cub Hover car Sedans.

Shouldn't our starships be priced a bit higher? perhaps in the hundreds of thousands vs tens of thousands? And well for much larger ships possibly in the millions?

Thoughts? It doesn't make sense 'Economically' for starships to be so cheap, I suspect it was done in part to make getting a ship easier, but getting a starship should not be the equivalent of buying a sports car.

I agree with not finding SP/DR a very good reference point. Especially considering my opinion hasn't been changed about how what we presently have is flawed. Basing something else atop it would be resting even more on an unsound foundation.

It needn't be strict either. We want to give people an idea of the right pricing for a certain kind of hardware, not straightjacket them until we have strict guidelines about how pricing should be.

I don't want to see a submission stalled because of nitpicking over the value of an item. We don't do it now (as long as it's not ridiculous) and we shouldn't do it.

Worked up a straw man using the basic idea that Fred suggested.

Pricing Guidelines for High End Commodities

I think there should be a different scale for military starships, and power armor / fighters because military specs for vehicles is typically more expensive that civilian.

I only populated the Civilian Aerospace and Starship tables price wise and included a couple of examples.

I notice its mostly Yamataian products. Can we get other factions' products added? It makes sense that some factions/companies would be cheaper or more expensive due to the exchange rate, etc.

I used the Yamataians because I am most familiar with them.

The pricing is in whatever denomination that faction uses, and depending on how new the faction is their tech modifier will adjust the prices as well.

If you have some suggestions of equivalent products to put on the page that's fine.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back