• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Better late than never.

Gles

What do you call yourself?
Gles

How'd you find Star Army?
A roleplay directory a ways back. Four years ago, to be specific.

What interested you in joining?
How old the site was, and a general interest in sci-fi. Older communities are stronger communities.

Ever done this text-based roleplaying thing before?
I've been RPing in forums since I could string sentences together, with the quality of those sentences debatably improving as the years went by. No matter how may times I drift away, I always seem to come back.

Any previous experiences you want to share?
I think the most enjoyment I've gotten in text RP was in a Mutants & Masterminds living world server I was active in about 4 or 5 years ago. It petered out, unfortunately, but I credit it with renewing my waning interest in RP.

Do you prefer:
  • Male/Female/Other characters? I've always had a preference for hot-headed tomboys, so I'd say I lean towards female characters.
  • Spontaneous or planned RP? Planned in the sense that I prefer to make sure my partner and I are on the same wavelength, and spontaneous in the sense that I'd like interactions to seem organic instead of forced down a specific path.
  • Military or civilian characters? Military, primarily. Civilians with military backgrounds who become mercenaries are cool as well.
  • Humans, androids, anthros, or aliens? It'll sound boring, but I favor humans. The prospect of surviving as a normal person in a diverse galaxy always appealed to me. That being said, I'm not opposed to outlandish character types. Androids are my second choice; I love machines that are ambiguously human in behavior, sometimes to a creepy degree.
  • Being on a starship or being on a planet? My ideal space story is a mixture of both. There's something appealing about getting to know a consistent cast of characters who are all stuck on a ship together, but I also enjoy adventuring to alien planets, or establishing a tight-knit frontier colony and weathering the challenges of preserving it.
  • Roleplay via forum posts or in real-time? I have an atypical work schedule, so I lean towards forum posts most of the time. If the stars align, though, I'd gladly play in real time.
On a scale of 1 to 3, what's your preferred level of these in your RP:
  • Language: 2/3 I don't particularly care about strong language. Personally, I favor sci-fi swears mixed in with familiar ones ("Karking, frakking, etc)
  • Violence: 2/3 Really, it depends on the mood that we as RPers go for. I don't revel in violence, but I don't ignore it when it's appropriate. If you're writing a mecha pilot's rampage through enemy lines, you should depict the devastation appropriately.
  • Sexuality: 2/3 I'm an adult, and I prefer to write with adults. I don't write aggressively sexual characters, especially if they're military, but unless I'm writing an asexual character, I don't ignore the fact that this is a universe of smartly-dressed, attractive men and women in military uniforms.
What's something cool you'd love to RP?
I've always wanted to write a mecha pilot doing mecha pilot things, as well as tackling the idea that they'd feel more comfortable piloting than being on the ground. They'd be a confident, cocky hotshot who treads a thin line between professionalism and insubordination. I'm still reading up on the lore, so faction choice is up in the air. That, and I need to think carefully about how to write such a character in a military setting without coming off as obnoxious or unrealistically insubordinate, since I personally dislike military characters who act unrealistically un-military. Maybe a mercenary would be better.

I can imagine your character as a Mindy ace in Yamatai! They're a very feasible concept but not overly done from what I've seen!

Let me be the first to welcome you to Star Army forums and say that I can't wait to see what you have in store for us here!

Welcome to Star Army!

If you need anything let us know. My name is Andrew in the discord.

Welcome to Star Army. I can't wait to see the stories you create! If you need anything there are plenty of people who would be more than happy to help. Feel free to reach out here or on Discord if you have any questions.

It's great to see that you have a strong interest in sci-fi and have been involved in text-based roleplaying for several years. It sounds like you have a lot of experience under your belt. The Mutants & Masterminds living world server you mentioned sounds cool. I am trying to remember if it was a Palladium RPG (?). I used to GM a Robotech/Macross game back in like 1998ish.

As for your preferences, it seems like you're a perfect fit here. Even a lot of us male players enjoy bringing badass military women to life in roleplay.

I hope you find the perfect faction and setting to bring your character to life. Star Army has a rich lore, so take your time to immerse yourself in it.

Welcome to Star Army, and I hope you have a fantastic time roleplaying here! If you have any more questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.

Welcome! You can always ask me if you ever have any questions about anything about Yamatai.

Welcome! You came to the right place if you like mecha!

Yamatai, the NDC, the Iroma, and a lot of factions already have a good spread of mecha between them! (Nepleslia has one too but as the GM for the only currently active nep military plot it doesnt involve mecha, sorry!)

If you're ever interested in the more tank with legs style mechs instead of humanoid super robots tho hit me up any time I have a plot running about incompetent mech pilots in wish dot com quality (compared to the super-tech of the setting they are underpowered) mechs with little to no training making a play at thinking they are mercenaries one collateral damage incident at a time!

I can imagine your character as a Mindy ace in Yamatai! They're a very feasible concept but not overly done from what I've seen!

Let me be the first to welcome you to Star Army forums and say that I can't wait to see what you have in store for us here!
It definitely looks appealing! My initial idea was to pilot something a few feet taller, but a suit of teleporting armor is an interesting concept. Perhaps the pilot could be a former Nepleslian street racer who turned to military service in order to make a better life for herself (and escape the looming threat of violence from a syndicate she wronged). I'm a sucker for playing outsiders that learn from, and integrate into, a new culture.

Welcome to Star Army!

If you need anything let us know. My name is Andrew in the discord.
Welcome to Star Army. I can't wait to see the stories you create! If you need anything there are plenty of people who would be more than happy to help. Feel free to reach out here or on Discord if you have any questions.
Will do, thanks! I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the lore, and tepid about settling on a concept definitively, given that I might miss something that makes my idea totally infeasible.

It's great to see that you have a strong interest in sci-fi and have been involved in text-based roleplaying for several years. It sounds like you have a lot of experience under your belt. The Mutants & Masterminds living world server you mentioned sounds cool. I am trying to remember if it was a Palladium RPG (?). I used to GM a Robotech/Macross game back in like 1998ish.

As for your preferences, it seems like you're a perfect fit here. Even a lot of us male players enjoy bringing badass military women to life in roleplay.

I hope you find the perfect faction and setting to bring your character to life. Star Army has a rich lore, so take your time to immerse yourself in it.

Welcome to Star Army, and I hope you have a fantastic time roleplaying here! If you have any more questions or need assistance, feel free to ask.
Not as much experience as I'd like, unfortunately. Finding games has always been difficult, and it only gets harder with real life responsibilities these days.

I'll be taking my time with the lore, and I appreciate your patience.

Welcome! You can always ask me if you ever have any questions about anything about Yamatai.
Will do! They're an interesting faction -- who doesn't like catgirls in space?

Welcome! You came to the right place if you like mecha!

Yamatai, the NDC, the Iroma, and a lot of factions already have a good spread of mecha between them! (Nepleslia has one too but as the GM for the only currently active nep military plot it doesnt involve mecha, sorry!)

If you're ever interested in the more tank with legs style mechs instead of humanoid super robots tho hit me up any time I have a plot running about incompetent mech pilots in wish dot com quality (compared to the super-tech of the setting they are underpowered) mechs with little to no training making a play at thinking they are mercenaries one collateral damage incident at a time!
Good to hear! Right now, my mindset is more geared towards writing a professional, but I'll be keeping an eye on your plot in case inspiration strikes me.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back