• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What are Starship Armor Costs?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Durandium (formerly Andrium) is lightweight and reasonably strong, which is why it is used in a lot of fighters and small mecha. It is, however, rather weak against most heavy weapons of the time.
¤ Producers: Nerima Industrial Sector
¤ Cost: [Normal]

Nerimium (formerly Xenotronium) is super-dense and heavy, which makes it good for most starships but not for craft that need to be fast and mobile.
¤ Producers: Nerima Industrial Sector

Yamataium (formerly Xintium) is super-strong against all weapons and can regenerate its resiliency over time. However, it's very cost-prohibitive to produce and likewise, very expensive.
¤ Producers: Nerima Industrial Sector, Ketsurui Zaibatsu
¤ Cost: [Very Expensive]

Xiulurium is similar to Zanarium in composition, but this alloy is more flexible, requires less energy (to use its stealth), and not as armor-beneficial (easier to puncture/evaporate).
¤ Producers: Ketsurui Zaibatsu ONLY
¤ Cost: [Expensive]

Zanarium is a 'stealth armor' that offers less protection but makes the unit harder to detect.
¤ Producers: Nerima Industrial Sector, Ketsurui Zaibatsu

Zesuaium is super-strong, doesn't bend or break, and doesn't conduct electricity and heat. Downside? It's hard to repair damage done to a unit with Zesuaium because of its nature.
¤ Producers: Ketsurui Zaibatsu ONLY
¤ Cost: [Expensive]

Actually this has been updated really quite recently, note the name changes. What I'd really like is an actually description of cost beyond 'Very', but I doubt I'll get it and the current system works really quite well.

In the spirit of keeping armor names original, Wes, Doshii Jun and I were talking about thinking up new names for armor materials, just like how Xintium was changed to Yamataium.

So, seeing to that, I propose we now change 'Andrium' to Durandium!

Kotori said:
In the spirit of keeping armor names original, Wes, Doshii Jun and I were talking about thinking up new names for armor materials, just like how Xintium was changed to Yamataium.

So, seeing to that, I propose we now change 'Andrium' to Durandium!
Approved!

Well, there are stealth materials to name.

For my defense, I came with Kotorium first. Wes made a gag of using my name afterwards and he seriously felt it sounded good, so, I posted it up. XD

Frederick Durand: Wes, Doshii once suggested we change the name of Andrium in the SARP
Frederick Durand: I was thinking of a few names which could be appropriate...
Wes Davis: ok
Frederick Durand: like "Kotorium"
Wes Davis: lol
Frederick Durand: and Yuukite
Frederick Durand: Yuimite
Frederick Durand: Hanakoium
Frederick Durand: Irimium
Frederick Durand: Mizuhium
Frederick Durand: Shariemite
Frederick Durand: Katsukoium
Frederick Durand: Nepleslianite
Wes Davis: lol
Wes Davis: Call it Durandium.
Frederick Durand: that's perfect!
Frederick Durand: even better than Fredium!

Best armor evar. It could be applied to suicide vessels, thinking the suicide vessel into a corner of an enemy vessel, then self-destructing, killing everyone onboard.

It could be the greatest one-hit killer the SARP's ever known.

I prefer Usagium -- all hits to the armor turn into bunny ears.

I've decided to jump on the bandwagon on changing armor names

I would now like for Andrium to be called Solanium, Nerimium to be called Hephestium, and Yamataium (Xintium) to be referred to as Leptonium.

These names are species neutral (it'd make no sense for NDI forces to call Xintium/Leptonium Yamataium when for all intents and purposes, they introduced the Yamataians to the material). Likewise, Nerimium/Hephestium is a raw material and not an alloy, which means it can be found naturally in space.

Solanium alloy is an advanced lightweight alloy that weighs as much as aluminium, but offers several orders of magnitude more protection per square centimeter. Considered ideal for small craft such as fighters and power armors, Solanium is not considered heavy armor because it offers poor protection against the heavy weapons of the time period.

Hephestium is an abundant, super-dense metal that is the primary resource in starship construction. When refined and combined with other mundane metals such as iron and nickel, it forms a potent armor plating that is effective against all weapon types save for anti-matter. It's major downside is the considerable weight it adds to any unit that uses it in its construction, making it only prevalent on large warships and not fighters and mecha.

Leptonium alloy is regarded by many as the most advanced metallic alloy ever developed next to Zesuaium. Unlike Zesuaium, however, Leptonium is highly-resilient to damage (it will regenerate its strength over time) and to date is the only alloy capable of resisting the effects of particle disruptor beams effectively.

I don't really like the armor names being introduced other than Hephestium - maybe I'm biased because I like Yamataium and Durandium better (HA!)... but I do think Derran has a point about making the names species neutral.

Okay, truth be told, I also actually like the name 'Andrium' more than 'Durandium' ~_~;;;

I kinda thought Nerimium was okay for an armor name. I thought it could be kept that way in the SARP actually, since it was a method the Ph had of making their alloys.

On the same level, I considered that Yamataium was an adaptation of Xinthium: that Yamatai had found an alternate mix for their alloy which was similar, but not quite the same as the one the Nerimians use.

So, that considered, maybe species dependant names aren't all that necessary as long as equivalencies are clearly outlined.

That and, you wouldn't wanna make your entire ship made out of Zanarium......it's typically used as a coating over a stronger alloy, because if you're at the point where you've been detected, stealth doesn't matter anymore and you need to be able to survive attack.

It says here than Xiulirium is weaker than Zanarium, and Xuilirium is (1).

https://stararmy.com/setting/damage.html

Well, consider if say I'm not making a warship but some Sam Fisher's sneaksuit which doesnt need to handle Aether beams but some pistols: I belives it warrants a solid figure for damage calculations.

That and, you wouldn't wanna make your entire ship made out of Zanarium......

Thanks for the advance warning.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back