• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Submission Character Creation Guide Template

Hollander

Submission RP Example
https://wiki.stararmy.com
Submission URL
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=templates:ccg
Submission Faction(s)
  1. None (nebulas, etc.)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Submitting, for consideration, a Character Creation Guide (CCG) template. The goal for this template is to standardize the way CCG's might be written, and to help writers create a new species (an accompanying CCG is a requirement as per the Creating a Species Guide).

Please let me know what you think! We put up a thread seeking feedback on this guide over in Worldbuilding a little while back.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's a good start.

CCGs are about exploring personal details of the species from which a character is being created. Forming an identity for a character. Some of your headers like physiology and culture are things found directly on a species page.

I think you should look to other CCGs, including and particularly the Nekovalkyrja CCG, for header inspiration. The Yamataian CCG is also a good template for this template. I think the recent Norian CCG does a pretty good job with its headers, too.

The CCG should guide through the who aspects of a character rather than serve to summarize the relevant species page.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Raz on this.

This mirrors the species page a lot. The point of the CCG is to kind of usher the player toward picking what they want for their character. It should be helping them collect the information needed to fill out the character biography form. I think this needs some more development before it is actually reviewed.

Great feedback, thank you both! I went through and renamed some sections, rewrote some of the descriptions, and tried to align it with the Character Template.

How's this latest version look? Are there sections it's missing? Or sections that we don't think it needs?

How's this latest version look?
It's much better. I'm just a guy and don't really have a checklist for you or any requirements (like Wes or a reviewer might have). But the first version struck me as replicating too many "species page" headers and essentially felt like a re-hash of what a species page is supposed to be, while this one looks like a good sourcebook-type guide for creating RPG characters of any given species once it's filled in.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back