• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Misc [Discussion] Embargo on the Lorath Matriarchy

The younger Ketsurui princess's commentary was sent from her multi-function bracelet:

"It seems that there will never be a calm voice in regards to the Lorath issue. I agree that simply ignoring or avoiding the Lorath will not resolve the issues our nation and military have developed with the Matriarchy. And Kotori-sama is also correct, they have already broken their word with us once.

We are a honorable people and our word is our bond, how can we truly trust a nation that has already betrayed us once? It does seem rather foolish that after the NMX war that they would still be spiteful or try to incite the wrath of the fleet by threatening one of our vessels. I do not think I will truly understand the Lorath but if nothing else, perhaps a new armistice should be proposed?

We do not have much to gain from becoming closer allies with the Lorath but we would have more to lose if we create a need for the Lorath to form an alliance of nations against us. We have just ended one war, it would not serve anyone if we were to enter into another.

What the Lorath have done is unforgivable, but the only way that I see to move forward is to try to diplomatically arrange something that identifies their territory and express the firm understanding that we will no longer tolerate threats or attacks on our personnel.

We need to address what they did most recently since it is the freshest incident and the one we can respond to with any sort of continuity. We cannot wait too much longer to have a diplomatic solution otherwise it indicates that we will allow our personnel to be threatened by another nation.

I am unsure if the originally suggested embargo would be a proper way to really address the issue at this time. If discussions with the Lorath do not yield results, then perhaps, it would be the appropriate response at that time.

Signed,
Ketsurui Sora
Shoi, Diplomatic Officer
Star Army of Yamatai"

Mifune shrugged.

"Well, I did offer a solution, Ketsurui-Motoyoshi. So of course your challenge that I offer one rings pretty absurd. If you want to play politics, consider resigning. Or could you not suffer giving up the power? My arguments are sound; and I insult yours because I find them unsound. It's nothing more than fearmongering and jingoism - conspiracy theories? They're not theories if they've proven true over the course of history, Taisho."

And at that point, Mifune simply turned her attention away from Motoyoshi. She had been successfully derailed, and despite protests, Mifune at this moment felt that it had been made abundantly clear to the public what exactly was going on here. The teeth, so to speak, had been pulled, and it was time to address the damage caused. The problem was that Mifune now found herself surrounded by Ketsurui - no wonder she could taste imminent warfare! Though at least the Shoi seemed to be making sense.

"Ketsurui-Taisa. I am not calling the military killers. I am saying, we are no better than killers, if we do not hold ourselves above the pettiness of the northern issue that has ultimately prompted this issue being brought up. Everyone here is fully aware that Hanako-Shosho is not the best and most diplomatic person to be dictating national policy. She has been in the core and center of many of our most horrendous moments; she has even been cited for criminal activity in Nepleslia. This casts considerable doubt on her recollection of events. You are viewing this through the eyes of officers; I am viewing this through the eyes of a civilian, and I cannot view this embargo as anything other than a prelude to another war. I feel the bits moving that will isolate the Lorath as a people, and place them in a position where they feel they have no recourse but war. And then we would destroy them. And I find that disgusting.

"The Lorath doubtless felt they were defending their legitimate claims in space. A treaty would suggest that we define what claims are legitimate and what claims are not - and then, of course, if they violate that treaty we would be justified in using force. But without at least the prelude of diplomacy they will have the mandate to justify whatever actions they take in response to our sanctions, and there will be blood. Perhaps not today, or tomorrow, but unless we stop this hostility as quickly as possible, it will flow sooner or later."

"Not Taisa. Princess." Kotori's projection fiddled pensively with her hair as she absently made the correction. After a moment she declared: "Alright. I can get behind this."

"Mind you, I am concerned that the treaty will be just as double-edged to us as it might be to them. We speak of it as protecting us and granting us validity in the eyes of our interstellar peers should they mistep, but I think there is an unspoken notion within this assembly that we are just as capable of doing these misteps... and that those misteps will not be mistakes so much as us claiming what some of us believe we are entitled to."

"It is like that so there is no point denying it. We're not that much in denial of what we are."

"So, in that light... this treaty. How would we present it? What would it ask of the Lorath and of us that we could all realistically adhere to? What elements can we put on this treaty that would make the lorath not feel like the diminished party? If the treaties demands are too obviously in our favor and not theirs, there won't be much of a point to this. How could we make it satisfy the pride of both nations without needing to feel that one or the other has to overly compromise?"

Senator Maveric raised her hand again with calming smile. "Now that we settled down, let's go and start working on the important stuff. Like Ketsurui Kotori-hime said we should start thinking about this treaty. In my opinion the treaty is the most reasonable way to resolve these troubles. After all it is not beyond us to put the past behind us is it?"

"With that coming to mind the treaty must be both acceptable by us and by Lorath. For example we should start with setting borders between our nations and non-aggression should be put to great importance. I hope you agree with me on these facts."

"There are more things that should be there, but I want to address a very special one. We all agree upon the fact that slavery is horrible and even though it is acceptable by Lorath, it is not acceptable to us. It is even part of our new constitution. With that in mind we should make clear in the treaty and slavery is illegal in Yamatai. Should a Lorath slave cross the borders, he will be seen as free man or woman by us. I should like to say this is not to provoke Lorath, but as Ketsurui Sora-hime stated we are honorable people and we must stand behind our beliefs."

Winsbury was tapping his head against his desk, not in pity or piety for the grand overstuffed Kotori, but in frustration. If the Army could just march in and overturn whatever the senators said, then his job was looking worryingly redundant in the favour of old imperialist views.

But. There were some rays of light as others spoke up against them and the discussion moved from an embargo to a treaty.

"Well," The beleaguered Winsbury coughed, "If we want a treaty we'll have to get a Lorath representative, just as we're trying to get a Nepleslian representative on the Nepleslian treaty." He then sighed when he realised how stupid that statement sounded. Of course. Pigs will fly if we get an even-headed Lorath and an even-headed Yamataian together in the same room to negotiate. His doublethink was starting to pepper his thought process, and it was starting to show. "Failing that, we can draft something and send it to their diplomats rather than their High Priest."

He then straightened his tie and continued after listening to various statements: "Agreed with Senator Maverick. Anyone who crosses our borders is considered free from Slavery and treated equally-" Even though we do it too under a different name. "What I'm worried about is that a loophole exists in the most literal terms if they want to get to places like Nepleslia without going through Yamatai."

"Furthermore, what happens when they leave our borders? Do we enforce our anti-slavery stance beyond them or leave them be?" The bald Winsbury wiped his head to get the sweat out of it. This was compelling stuff for him.

Kotori cast a wily glance at Winsbury. "Good points, and I agree the loopholes will be the cause for the most consternation in the future. The Lorath have in the past obviously done all they could to exploit such and then happily rule-lawyered their way out of the sticky situations that ensued when caught in the act."

The nekovalkyrja's volumetric projections joined both hands before her, splaying them at the fingertips. "Why not tell us for starters how you would deem such should be handled, Winsbury-dono? It is obvious you believe your opinion to be a paragon in the determination of right and wrong... so I would be very interested in hearing your considerations."

Senator Winsbury gave Kotori a moment's pause as he chewed on his thoughts for a little, "The Lorath do have a slave registry system that alleviates those registered from common slaves and grants them the basic rights of a Lorath citizen - complete with investigation should the former slave come to any mistreatment." He nodded a little as he recalled his classes and studies on Lorath habits and recent developments from the Matriarchy's news feeds as well as some inside tracks he'd garnered, "If all of their slaves are forced to register to this system after crossing our borders, it means that the Matriarchy have to investigate if any of them come to harm."

He coughed, "However, I am somewhat sceptical of this system since the Lorath psyche and their attachment to slavery makes old habits die hard." He took a drink of water before continuing, "If we want to mean business, we have to ensure that former slaves are truly considered free beyond our borders and that there are consequences for mistreatment. The problem in this rests in oversight and mutual trust."

And then the second point: "As for Lorath circling our borders to get to Nepleslia and beyond, we can draw a hard line in the sand at the Galactic North and South of Yamatai." ((The North and South 'poles' of the starmap springing from Yamatai and going to the top and bottom of the picture.)) "Beyond that singular point, you must register your slaves to this system so they are protected."

"But, as I said, the problem lies in oversight, and mutual trust. If the finer points of this registration system can be explained to us, and we can ensure that its made into Lorath law, it would clear things up and cement a deal."

To: Senate of Yamatai

The origin of these rumors of Lorath genocide in the north are pure speculation at this point. I have released my sensor data to only the Scientific Studies Service and SAINT for analysis, not to the public. More information is needed before we can make any conclusions.

"Maybe the Occhestan refugees have someone that can act as a representative for them." Katsuko spoke quietly. Her time was nearly up, the Taisho respectfully stepped down from her place. "I have duties to attend to, I trust now that this is a discussion that will be continued." She had spent too much time in the Senate already. She had done what she set out to do, initiated the discussion about the Lorath. It seemed others had taken up the reigns anyway, those that the collective of political entropy was far less interested in insulting.

She headed out of the Senate chamber, Misato following close behind as that the Taisho needed to get to her meeting with Taisho Yui.

Yet, Taisho Hokusai, you expect the Lorath to sit and simply accept the move? That their pride and passions will not cause them to do something rash? We may not seek war but that is hardly a guarantee that they will not seek it. Even without an embargo, we are at the cusp of war. Placing any embargo surely increases the risk?

"I believe we've moved on," Kotori politely pointed out.

"This treaty needs to be ratified, then. Also, as Winsbury-dono indicated, the Lorath should be contacted so that this is a mutual effort which will end up being to their liking as well."

"However, one thing must remain clear. This should not be retroactive. There is no question of restitution or compensation which should be done - in the latest incident our Empire had a certain stance and it would be a loss of face if we overly bent backward for the Lorath."

"Those whom will make the overtures to represent us might preferably do so in a manner where we express that our relations are not as cordial as they ought to be, and offer to help set up rules of behavior for us to adhere to so to avoid any future problems. We want them out of our hair just about as much as they must want the same, so... hopefully... their High Priest won't be too difficult on this matter."

Kotori offered a demure smile to Mifune. "Mifune-dono, since this was your initiative, perhaps you would like to work with Winsbury-dono in drafting a treaty as suggestion for the Office of the Imperial Premier, whom could then enter in contact with the Lorath Government on this subject?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back