• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Misc [Discussion] Renaming the E0 through E3 star systems

Fred

Retired Staff
Ketsurui Kotori, namesake and senator of the Kotori system, brought about a new topic to the Imperial Senate.

"North of Katsuko's nebula, we have four star systems named after former Star Army taisho Shimizu Akina, and her three youngling daughters Akiko, Miu, and Ayano."

"I would like to propose that we consider renaming those star systems differently."

"Names given to star systems are an honor given to explorers, and those whom have done the Empire great service," Kotori asserted. "However, E0 through E3 have come to symbolize shame and embarassment."

"Taisho Shimizu, at some point - out of the blue - declared that she and wayward former-followers of the Motoyoshi clan would turn themselves into aristrocratic figures through creation of thier own clan without Imperial consent."

"Titling herself as 'princess', Shimizu Akina barged without permission into the Second International Conference and portrayed our nation as antagonistic in fashion contrary to Empress Himiko's intentions. In mixed show of rudeness, discourtesy and a blatant display of how the Empire's 'leadership' did not have an unified front, she made us laughingstock to the leaders of other nations."

"What's more, she proved to be a superb drama queen when she decadently drew attention to herself during a crisis by having leaders of other nations catter to her while she was delivering younglings. Even when in distress, a princess and admiral should have had the dignity and resolve to display such intimate matters elsewhere than at a public forum of diplomacy, let alone during crisis."

"Today, we look upon our starmaps, and those four names remind us of the embarassment of that day. So do the Nepleslians. So might others, when they hear the jokes made at the expense of our showing at the Second IRC."

"I would ask if we could make this display of shame end. I would ask if we might show that we do not condone Shimizu Akina's displays, and take measures to retain our dignity. I would ask if we could give solace to those three daughters, and allow them to sink into obscurity so that they would not suffer the ridicule earned by thier mother."

"What say you?"

The senator from Yamatai, Abraham Yamashita, stood as the projection of Ketsurui Kotori looked his way.

"The Imperial Planetary Database shows these planets are without citizenry, though Akiko has some population.

"I see no reason not to rename these three systems, but I ask the Senator of Kotori if she has names in mind for these uncolonized and untapped systems."

"I am much more concerned with wiping away the shame the present names represent rather than have any named in any particular fashion," the black-haired Ketsurui princess answered.

"As the pioneer whom initially lead the settlement of the Bard cluster, and the namesake of the nebula south, I would have thought it appropriate to defer that priviledge to the honorable Motoyoshi Katsuko-Taisho."

"With the consent of this assembly, we could offer her this opportunity."

"I agree with such a deferment," Yamashita said. "The proposal has my support, so long as the honorable Taisho chooses names besides these. We would be granting her this permission in her role as explorer, not as a military officer, I take it?"

"I find this personal attack on Taisho Shimizu disgusting," Hanako said, "It was her right to name those systems. Taisho Shimizu fought for Yamatai and is currently a prisoner of war. And you would insult her behind her back, while she suffering, and try to steal away her legacy? Where is your honor?!"

"My sense of honor rests with the dignity of my Empire," Kotori replied with a measured tone. "Someone was allowed to make a public spectacle of ourselves before our interstellar peers. She was allowed to do so, with little intervention, and her antics were tolerated to the point of she leaving a more permanent mark on our history by leaving that exact legacy."

"A legacy that some look upon today and remember that embarassment," the black-haired Ketsurui asserted. "This was an insult to us all, and part of that insult lives on in that symbolism."

"I bear but gratefulness to the gainful achievements Shimizu-Taisho has done the Empire and her present situation is regretable, but her present situation is beyond my power to help with. That, however, does not wipe the loss-of-face she has also caused us, and the consequences some still perceive we live with today. This is really less a personal attack and more an attempt to cope with those unwanted consequences."

"What I can address is the perception that my Empire's honor has been besmirched, and that there is the possibility to cleanse it so that we may maintain a better show of dignity. Perhaps my perception differ from yours in priorities, but the more important part is that I have a voice, I see a problem, and I raise it to this assembly to deliberate."

"You may feel nothing was wrong. You may feel something was wrong, but that Shimizu-Taisho's legacy must still be respected on other grounds than her political missteps. Or you can feel something is wrong and promote the idea that something should be done about it."

Gunther's virtual image appeared at his station in the Senate.

"Personally I do not see the validity of this request. If anything the proposal to rename several systems, three of which had to be temporarily abandoned for safety reasons to me seems more of an embarrassment. Or rather an attempt to embarrass the person who named them.

Last time I checked birthing happens when it will, and if the Taisho was locked into a room, she can not be faulted for delivering her children there.

As for the naming of systems, it is the prerogative of the discovery as to how to name them. Our system's name was chosen by the original settlers.

If the esteemed Ketsurui Kotori is concerned about the naming of systems in the future, I would suggest she submit a proposal to quantify future naming.

I do not support this proposal. "

“The people of Tami would support Senator Kotori’s proposal in principle,” Yusuke said, receiving a message from Ninth Fleet headquarters that stressed a very key point. He thought for a moment on how to phrase his next words without creating another offense. Indeed, the princess who represented a system bearing her name had clearly created some controversy, even if she hadn’t intended to.

“I, ahh, disagree with — ahhh, the best way to correct our present shame would be to not to give these systems new namesakes that would bring a different sort of dishonor,” he said carefully with hopes that not directly criticizing the alternatives already suggested would avoid more rumblings. “Thus, if this discussion yields a proposal, I recommend we leave the renamings to Himiko-heika, whose decision would be beyond reproach.”

"Perhaps, we should hope to redeem the names of those systems through merit or purpose rather than focus on the people who they were named after? " The crimson haired Ketsurui's projection seemed troubled, she understood her aunt's frustration and anger towards the people who caused Yamatai so much dishonor by being honored with a legacy.

"If three of those systems are not populated, a name change would not greatly affect anything other than the honor of the one that named them. I understand this was not your intent, Kotori-san, your focus is on the honor of our Empire rather than personal glory or attacks, but would it not be better fitting that we give those systems a chance to redeem themselves through honorable service or use?" Sora looked between the projections of both her aunts, looking effectively concerned that their reactions to this matter were so vastly opposite of on another.

It made her wonder why some of the other senators were so concerned about there being so many Ketsurui princesses in the senate that were also serving or had served in the Star Army of Yamatai when it was obvious that while their concern was the Empire, they had different opinions on most things.

Kotori had been giving Gunther's projection a half-lidded look of contempt. She didn't seem to think much of his impressions on how youngling birth occured. Kotori, being youngling-born herself, apparently felt she had a much better idea.

Rather than refute him, though, she payed attention to Senator Tami, and found herself nodding along to her more sensible point on whom would cause less controversy should the stars and planets really end up renamed.

The showstealer came in Sora, whom appealed to better natures and did so in a successful fashion.

"Hanako-dono would likely argue that, by making the ultimate sacrifice in serving the Empire, Shimizu Akina-Taisho more than already earned that perception of any redemption - if any suggestion of the need for it be entertained," Kotori said.

"I presented the topic before making it a proposal because I wanted to see how the senate would react to it first. There are some of like mind. Others strongly against, to the point of needing to punctuate thier arguments with belittlements."

Her face broke into an ironic smile. "This, ironically, makes you no better than you feel I am being toward the late Taisho. Verbal sparring, though, is not my objective here. Ketsurui Sora has cut most effectively to the meat of the issue."

Kotori's amber eyes turned to Sora. "You hint at the possibility of honoring Shimizu Akina while burying the shame she left us. You have my attention, Senator of Himiko. What exactly would you propose?"

"We have a need to both relocate the displaced citizens from the United Outer Colonies and to replenish our food supply. Akiko, Miu and Ayano were all evacuated and if they are safe once again, we can try to repair the damage done to those planets by reclaiming them for farming, colonization, and other resources. We could also establish Star Army training facilities on these planets or have them as resupply bases for our fleets," Sora suggested after a moment of thought, scanning the very brief files she could find on those planets.

"There are any number of things we could do with unpopulated planets that could potentially make them of better service to the Empire's growing peacetime needs and goals. We need to find homes and jobs for refugees and for service members retiring from service and these systems could provide locations for both these needs," the young Ketsurui's tone was thoughtful and polite and she smiled softly. "It takes time to earn honor without further sacrifice, we should give these systems a chance to do that."

An orange-haired neko who was silent up to this moment simply nodded. Iwase Tamako looked at Sora with smile. "I will have to agree with Ketsurui Sora-sama. When the was will be over, we will have a lot of soldiers on our hands. Some will want to go into reserve, but I think that a great number of them will also wish to stay in active duty."

"We will have to create positions for all these honourable soldiers. Crating forward bases and resupply stations is good idea. Not to mention that such places also make for great protection for colonies."

"I would also like to mention one thing. Renaming these planets would not really erase any possible shame. Such a an act would most likely brought it up to eyes of general population again. I assume that is last thing anyone wants. Bringing honour to those places is much better idea."

With that she smiled at everyone, raising a hand in motion that she is done for a time.

Gunther listened to the continuing discussion, he was pleased that others were not so eager to jump onto what was clearly some sort of personal attack.

"Ketsurui Kotori, you claim that this proposal is somehow going to erase some perceived shame. To my way of thinking making this proposal and if it should be passed, would then give some measure of credence to your claim that somehow Shimizu Akina shamed our Empire by virtue of going into labor during an attack by the Mishhu. But I wonder if we asked the various women who have given birth during trying times during this recent war would agree that labor is shameful.

Would you care to explain exactly what shame the children Akiko, Miu, and Ayano are responsible for? And how would changing the planets that their mother by legal right chose to name in their honor would expunge such shame?

To be honest, I have never heard any comments from anyone about this perception of shame. So who exactly is it that raises these claims, and what is their motivation? That is what I have to ask myself.

I have to say that I remain steadfast against this proposal to change the names of these planets which were named in accordance with our existing laws, under the guise of what is clearly some sort of personal attack."

Kotori again turned a very critical look toward Gunther. This time, however, she spoke.

"Have you any sense? The discussion was clearly going the way you wanted it to go, and then you just pour oil over a dying fire?"

Kotori shook her head at the sheer stupidity of the maneuverings of Daichi's senator, before going on: "I barely know Shimizu. A bit as a Taisho of her reputation. Much more, about my studying our recent history in politics and finding in groan-worthy. Just how much stupid can someone just deciding to represent us to other nations without any consent bring to the table and make us lose face? Maybe you simply were out of the loop back then, but the people I studied with on Yamatai weren't, and it was pretty clear they weren't even certain how it was even allowed to happen."

"It's not about Shimizu. Shimizu made it to Taisho and gave her all, literally, to fight for her nation. It's about Shimizu's actions in the realm of politics - if someone else had done this and gotten stars named after them right after, I'd have raised the same issue. Call it personal attacks if it makes you feel better painting me as a villain - I simply don't appreciate ego trips that reflects upon my entire nation; especially if it was left unchecked, and not even censured at the time. The stars could've very well appeared to other nations as us even condoning her tomfoolery."

"As for the birthing? You forget yourself. We are nekovalkyrja - did you not recall this senate voted us to be a couple of months ago? Hardware. We may be created by humans, we may look close to humans, but we are not human. Our offspring are definitely not starting out into the universe as weak and helpless as human babes would be. We are born, and though diminutive, we are ready to fight."

Kotori ended up sneering. "We are born when we are ready and our birthmother ready to deliver. We were never designed to give birthing in some freak accident of timing - and both mother and daughter work to make the timing right. It makes the incident at the conference at best an aberration, and at worst an attention-grabbing show."

"And the three daughters? Circumstances of thier births and getting more visibility due to a star named after me could be pretty damn embarassing," Kotori shook her head in dismay. "I could've been grateful not to have that spotlight on me and being able to continue on with my life under the relative obscurity of normalcy."

Kotori finished that last with imperious disdain - as if having pointed out something that had been blatantly obvious - before gesturing to Sora. "I've decided to broach the problem one way. The Senator of Himiko has proposed another which can possibly also address the symptom I've raised. Though Sora-hime's idea really isn't much of a shift from the already present measures being taken about our refugees and post-war reconsolidation, it's been clear several members of the Senate feel disconnected from the context I've offered."

The nekovalkyrja's amber eyes went half-lidded. "Which is fine. This was a discussion."

"So," Kotori's projection flipped some of her black-hair back behind her shoulder. "Unless you absolutely must have the last word, we're pretty much done with this topic. I'm fairly willing to just accept going with Sora-hime's intentions regarding this matter and we can just let the issue lie."

Conference Room - Motoyoshi Clan Meeting, Daily Business
Hotaru no Iori
7th Fleet

"I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu" ("A frog in a well does not know the great sea.") Sui said with a chuckle as she paused the feed from the Senate on Yamatai, then looked towards Misato and Katsuko who sat at the head of the table briefly, before rising from her seat. There was no open channel, so anything said would be private. "This my sisters is another reason, another attempt to mar our family. Now they pursue wrongful course against our fallen. Successful or not, the point is there." She sat back down, the volumetric projection of Kotori then faded from the center of the table.

"They wanted Katsuko to do the renaming..."Misato said, "Which would of been politically devestating, members within our clan still honor Shimizu-Taisho." The sky blue-haired Nekovalkyrja sighed, "Akina was and is a Motoyoshi, and those younglings were just as much Katsuko's own. So that is where we stand on it - as for your list of reasons, those reasons are the same as they have always been." Misato visibly frowned and shook her head from side to side, "This is no different than that Taisho who accused Katsuko of trying to sabotage intergalactic relations - it is baseless lies, attempts to unhinge our hold from the areas of the Empire we still hold power. It is not working."

"The Yamada Tributary supports whatever response is decided upon." Ayano said, then getting up from her seat, "I have to get back to the command deck, keep me updated." The Chujo bowed towards Katsuko and then headed out of the conference room.

"Our response is no direct response." Katsuko said abruptly. "The discussion appears to have been defeated anyway. Our clan will honor Shimizu-Akina, that will be our direction. Our base, both here in the fleet and across the Empire is one that has seen far too much political sabotage over the last few years." Her silver eyes, glistened as they caught the light. "Those who did not cowardly flee to the UOC, have taken the same treatment - punished because others left, discredited because we stayed and fought. It is what we are going to continue doing, fighting the NMX and making sure those like Akina are remembered in the way they deserve to be." She hoped that one day her fiancee would be found, liberated from the enemy. It was part of why they were pursuing Angelica, it was part of why she was still there. "We hold our resolve, and keep doing what we have set out to do."

Sui nodded, "As you wish. That settles that then, shall we move forwards with the discussion on plans for MHK?" she asked, understanding Katsuko's course on the topic of Akina. Nothing had been the same since her disappearance. Maybe they would find her.
Nothing was set back to the Senate.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back