• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Resolved Move images out of wiki wip: namespace

raz

SAINT Director
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Hello! There are quite a few pictures in various folders of the wip: namespace. This impacts both how live wiki pages looked to guest users, as well as our ability to link those images here on the forums. For example, all of PP's YNNX images are in the wip: media namespace, so those approved articles are entirely without images unless you're a member. Same with a bunch of Whisper's Noval stuff. All of the approved planet articles in the Jiyuu system have wip: namespace images.

I personally believe the media manager shouldn't have a wip: namespace at all (or that media items in the wip namespace remain visible to guests if possible) to avoid this issue.

I originally started this post to specifically move the Nepleslian Award images out of wip: because I noticed them linked on the forums, but as I outlined above this impacts many more live articles than that. So it might be a lengthy project for whoever needs to fix it.

Unfortunately, this is not something I'm able to do, in the past, I've just had to re-upload anything to the proper namespace and delete the copy in WIP.

I know certain level wiki users have the ability to move files between media manager folders. Not sure if it's a one-click thing for Wes or a huge manual operation. Just wanted to check here to ask in case it was a simple procedure.

Not sure, I have admin access to the wiki itself, but the media manager might have different permission levels. I'm sure @Wes can sort it out though, or instruct me on how I can.

I can't assume all WIPs were not intentionally put in WIP specifically to make them non public. Some images may be in WIP on purpose, For that reason, I am hesitant to just move them all.

The way I have to bulk move images is the move tree in the admin panel, which gives me an expandable tree of files and folders I can use to drag and drop items. When I save, it updates the links automatically.

Some images may be in WIP on purpose, For that reason, I am hesitant to just move them all.
Yeah, that's why I thought it might be an extended process. Needing to go through each one and see if it's linked to a live article. Tried to just now to make a list, and it gets pretty old pretty quick. Probably most efficient for someone who has permissions to move them to just look then move as they go.

I have found that the vast majority of wip images are linked to live articles, but a small handful (such as a wip faction by Whisper) are genuinely still wip.

Thanks for taking a look at the issue and being aware of it at least, because it does impact many live articles.

It's been time consuming but I've started this project this morning and have moved many images out of WIP to the appropriate locations so they can be viewed by guests. The list is too extensive to go through here but you can see what's going on by looking at the recent changes list on the wiki.

That's cool, Wes. You're a real champ.

If approved articles are a public-facing sci-fi sourcebook then it's great to have the wealth of worldbuilding available so that newcomers or general sci-fi fans can see everything we have to offer :)

Update: This is pretty much completed now, all remaining images seem to be for WIP articles/concepts and all approved things have been moved into the non-WIP namespaces. I also deleted many WIP images which were not used on any page at all (some of which where duplicated on the non-WIP side after approval).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back