• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

What is Subspace?

Vesper

Inactive Member
I have been wondering for some time, but have been able to find a source to explain, exactly what subspace is nor how technology utilizes it. Could any of you guys help me out here and explain these things? i would be very gratefull.

Well, that sounds all fine and dandy except for the last part @.@ space is 3 dimensions, time is a fourth, and I guess subspace could be any number more by means of which aether beams, CFS, FTL, and even Zesuaium could be explained by means of it.

There are too many theoretical physics out there to inspire the creation of even the most whackiest technologies. Unless your technology blatantly defies the laws of physics or has absolutely no relation to reality, then apparently your fine.

Subspace is just another theory of a higher or lower dimension that belongs in places such as Star Trek. =B

In mathematics, if a set with certain properties is called a space, then a subset with the same properties is usually called a subspace. Of a metric space, or topological subspace in topology, any subset can be taken; however, a linear subspace (also called vector subspace) in linear algebra is a special subset.
There is a fictional notion of subspace used in science fiction; see Hyperspace (science fiction).
The psychological state of the submissive partner in a BDSM scene is sometimes described as "subspace" or "sub space": see subspace (BDSM)
The SubSpace MMOG computer game reminiscent of Asteroids.
Also another name for Hammerspace, commonly used in science-fiction settings, such as the Transformers cartoon series.

Wikipedia for the Win!

I don't think he was looking for an answer from wikipedia, i'm sure he's already looked there.

Apparently the concept of "subspace" within a space continuum was hypothesised decades ago. Now authors of science fiction material now utilize the term "subspace" to provide an exotic uber-advanced method of bridging two points in space, time or another universe entirely, although the two latter don't appeal to me much. Dr Michio Kaku, among several others, support the theory that our space-time may possess eleven or more dimensions, these being three spatial dimensions and "time", and seven more which are "curled up" within a tiny sub-atomic size scale, where they happen to fill in the gaps and provide an explaination of mysteries of the forces of physics that govern our universe.

There is a fictional notion of subspace used in science fiction; see Hyperspace (science fiction).

Well if you want elaboration on that, consider subspace as hyperspace being a dimetion that is perpendicular to both X,Y, and Z, in a traditional grid.

Personally, I consider space, subspace, hyperspace and realspace to be seperate dimensions, if you will, that overlay one another. All parts of space time, they have different properties and can be used for different things, although it is generally theorised that subspace is an inferior, or low level, version of hyperspace.

In a fictional sense, subspace, hyperspace and realspace are considered to be areas that provide faster than light travel through various means, the most common being that they either a) inhabit different physical laws to their counterparts, and/or b) are on a smaller scale, allowing you to move 5 kilometers to every one (for example).

Subspace is generally accepted as the lowest form of jump space (any spacial dimension that increases travel speed), Hyperspace to be the next greatest and realspace as the final (or at least, densest) level. Each can be accessed to varying degrees, although total immersion within any of the three is likely to result in permanent loss of the object immersed from space itself. Hyperspace and Realspace have greater chances of causing collateral damage, loss of immersed object etc. due to the density of the dimensions they inhabit (and the energy contained therein).

EDIT:

It helps if you think of the four layers as a ball, with space on the outside, then subspace, hyperspace and realspace in the core. It's obvious that burrowing through the areas closer to the core will get you to the other side faster than walking the whole outside, but the difficulty in burrowing and the likelyhood of cave-ins increases as you get deeper.

I have always got the image that Hyperspace is a much faster dimension that subspace, in addition to being filled with the energy that is used by the NDI all the time.

Note that there is a difference in the SA communications section, since both names are given, even if they are said to do the same sort of thing and no speed differential is given.

Im not sure on this, but I believe most settings use one or the other, not both. The notable exception I know of is Star Wars, but In SW hyperspace is simply a descriptor for a ship traveling faster than c. It does not imply any sort of extra dimension.

As I understand it, sub/hyperspace is basically the area around which spacetime is curved. Like, how the 2-d surface of the earth is curved into a sphere, spacetime is curved into a hyperdome or hypershpere or something, and travelling through hyperspace is like going through the earth instead of around the surface.

And in case anyone misunderstood my first post, what I meant was that spacetime and subspace are the two subsets of hyperspace, like space and time are the subsets of spacetime, or length, width, and height are the subsets of space.

Hmm...that's kinda what I was trying to say, but not quite. That page doesn't incorporate any extradimensionality, it's just labelling the big vacuum in the middle of the universe as hyperspace. I'm saying that that vacuum in the middle is still part of space, and that the sphere is bent around a 4th dimension. It's hard (if even possible) to visualize, which is why I gave the 2->3 dimensional example of the earth.

Okay, think of a circle. It has a 1-dimensional (i.e. measured in units and not square units) circumference, each point of which is a border to the 2-d interior. A sphere has a 2-dimensional surface, each point of which is a border to the 3-d interior. What I'm saying is that space is a 3-d surface, and each point is a border of the interior 4-dimensional hyperspace (i.e. you can access hyperspace from any point in space, whereas the theory you linked to seems to only have hyperspace accessible from the interior/youngest parts of the universe).

Uso Tasuki said:
Well, reguardless of what you were trying to say that is what hyperspace is considered to present day scientists.
Present day scientists say that each point in space is actually an extremely small multidimensional space...

http://www.b5tech.com/misctech/engines/hyperdrive/hyperdrive.html said:
Stellar matter moved (and still moves), out from the center of the Big Bang, the resulting empty space equaling Hyperspace.
They most certainly wouldn't agree with that last part.

Stellar matter moved (and still moves), out from the center of the Big Bang, the resulting empty space equaling Hyperspace.

I'm going to disagree with that too. The outward movement of stellar matter creates red-shift and entropy, not empty space.

Uso Tasuki said:
I'm going to disagree with that too. The outward movement of stellar matter creates red-shift and entropy, not empty space.
Actually, unless the big bang left a stationary black hole or something at the center of the universe, the space would be empty. My argument is that it's just a vacuum that still exists in 3d space, not another dimension.

I still think of the two a subtly different, for example Hyperspace has energy which can be drawn on, but subspace does not appear to, and Hyperspace seems to be a lot faster.

Perhaps we can accept that they are the same basic thing, but we should work out whether Hyperspace is simply a place where physics don't work the same way as they do here and so acceleration above the speed of light is possible, or whether it is a 'scaled' space, where the same distance there is a much greater distance in our universe. The effect is similar, but they're completely different in theory.

Beyond this, perhaps Hyperspace is the same as 'subspace' but more scaled, to a higher ratio if you will, and because of this is harder to access, but allows for correspondingly greater transportation benefits. Subspace is slower but easier.

As for the energy problem - since Hyperspace has to have energy in order for NDI technology to work - I'm not sure of an answer, although it could be something weird such as since space is scaled, and therefore in someway more compact the quantum foam or ZPE is also far more concentrated and thus easier to draw off in far higher quantities.

Well that's my thoughts anyway.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back